A Learning Center for all- across all ages, faiths, and education levels-
To think, grow, and understand.
Credit: Photo by Lobsang Tsering
To unite 7 billion people across the world by promoting the basic human values of compassion, forgiveness, tolerance, contentment and self-discipline to as broad an audience as possible, both through on-site and virtual programming.
The Library and Learning Center will have an overall size of more than 9000 sq ft. The facilities on the first floor include an exhibition area next to the lobby, twenty-four seats for private study, four computer workstations, a small reading corner along with four other areas with comfortable chairs for reading. The second-floor facilities include a Great Hall seating up to 250 persons for conferences and other presentations, a large reading room, a conference room and a quiet room for meditation.
The Library and Learning Center will hold the precious teachings of His Holiness including both printed and electronic copies of all 127 books written by him. These are his teachings on secular ethics and human values, compilations of discussions at the Mind & Life Institute, general teachings on Buddhism, instructions and guidance for those new to Buddhism and detailed commentaries on classical Buddhist texts. There will be recordings of the conferences that His Holiness has participated in as well as a complete set of at least 80,000 hours of teachings recorded since 1964 and other materials currently not available to the public.
In addition to works by His Holiness, the Library and Learning Center will hold the collected works of all the previous Dalai Lamas as well as a precious copy of the Kangyur and Tengyur (the works of Indian and Tibetan Buddhist masters), hand printed with wood blocks in Tibet. Some of these works have been translated, and these translations will also be available at the Library and Learning Center. These are the documents that His Holiness has studied and taught from for decades.
Plans for the construction of the Library and Learning Center are complete, and a general contractor selected. Construction started in early spring 2022, with the grand opening ceremony planned for July 6, 2023, the 88th birthday of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama.
Plans for the Dalai Lama Museum, which will allow a more extensive display of belongings of the 14th Dalai Lama and previous Dalai Lamas, are postponed until after completion of the Library and Learning Center.
The Groundbreaking Ceremony on April 29th, 2022 marked the construction of
His Holiness the Dalai Lama Library and Learning Center.
Photo Album from Ground Breaking Ceremony
- Ground broken for new Dalai Lama Library and Learning Center- Ithaca Voice- April 29, 2022
- Dalai Lama Library and Learning Center Underway in Ithaca- Weny- May 3rd 2022
- Namgyal Monastery Institute celebrates groundbreaking of Dalai Lama’s library- Ithaca.com- May 5, 2022
- Dalai Lama Library and Learning Center to Be Built in New York- Buddhist Door- June 21, 2021
- First-ever Dalai Lama Library & Learning Center To Be Built In Ithaca, NY- Yahoo Finance- July 6, 2021
- Buddha Buzz Weekly: Ithaca’s Namgyal Monastery Will Build the First Dalai Lama Library and Learning Center- Tricycle- June 19, 2021
- Ithaca NY To Be Repository and World Center Museum of Dalai Lama Writings- Genesee sun- May 2021
The Dalai Lama Library and Learning Center Project with His Holiness and Supporters
His Holiness the Dalai Lama Library & Museum- Concept Phase